Welcome to Reading & Mid Berkshire CAMRA
Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion. We promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
Our next social event:
- 3rd Pub of the Year Social Sunday 17 February 2019 Read description for location information
Our next meeting:
- Branch Business Meeting Tuesday 19 February 2019 20:00 Butler, Reading
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This website will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organisation with over 175,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organisation in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / ReadingCAMRA
- Saturday, 15:00 : CAMRA member? Are you remembering to score your beers? 📝 🍺 Find out more ➡ ow.ly/r1bE50llug6 pic.twitter.com/ZwLvmbpWrS
- Wednesday, 14:41 : RT @NagsHeadReading: Alright you lovely bunch - we've got something for ya! It's our 12th birthday on Tuesday the 19th, so we've been g… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Tuesday, 11:16 : RT @explorerdg: The Ale Trail launched on Saturday. Have you seen the full pub line up? @ReadingCAMRA #RDGUK explorerdg.com/food-drink/rea…
- Friday 8th February, 13:40 : The 2019 Ale Trail launches tomorrow! 📖🍻 ow.ly/vky550kqi6y pic.twitter.com/FNItj1fvXZ
- Wednesday 6th February, 11:31 : RT @TwyfordBeerFest: We are running the Beer Festival again! Our 10th Year and at a location closer to the Twyford Station.😃🍻🍺
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Saturday, 14:00 : Pub quiz at @westberksbrew on Wednesday 20th Feb - grab a table from 7pm and the quiz starts at 7.30pm. £5pp includ… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Saturday, 12:20 : A sneak peek of all the @HawksheadBrewer beers that will be pouring at @NagsHeadReading on Tuesday for their 12th b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Friday, 19:25 : A reminder that the @WildWeatherAles 440ml can launch/crawl is tomorrow, kicking off at 2pm at @TheGrumpyGoat_ then… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Thursday, 17:34 : If anybody in Reading and roundabouts spots this stolen caravan, please do contact @SirenCraftBrew and contact loca… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Thursday, 15:49 : This Valentine's Day, we'll tell you what we love - a tent and beer garden full of people enjoying some amazing bee… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Saturday, 13:00 : Next week, @GBBFWinter will be returning to #Norwich for the third and final time, before moving onto a new locatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Friday, 17:30 : Staff are now out of the office for the weekend, and will pick up any enquiries on Monday. Have a lovely weekend, everyone! 🍺
- Friday, 17:00 : CAMRA branches! Are you planning events for @caskaleweek 2019? 🚨 #CaskAleWeek is celebrating Britain’s favourite d… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Friday, 13:27 : Southwark Council has announced they are considering a late night levy - here's what our Regional Director had to s… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Friday, 09:51 : RT @CAMRABooks: Happy Friday! We’re feeling *pretty* good this morning, and wanted to share some reviews of @jamesdowdeswell’s The… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Twitter / camrabooks
- Friday, 13:34 : We're back with another review! See what @kenpee51 makes of @RogerProtzBeer's '300 Beers to Try Before You Die!' on… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Friday, 09:51 : Happy Friday! We’re feeling *pretty* good this morning, and wanted to share some reviews of @jamesdowdeswell’s The… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Friday 8th February, 01:07 : RT @Seanmo9: @Thirsty_Pilgrim 8th Ed finally arrived! Felt the need to have a proper Belgian. pic.twitter.com/BUSv2TBjMp
- Friday 1st February, 09:57 : RT @hmtreasury: As announced at Budget, taxes on beer, cider and spirits are frozen for another year from today ❄🍺🍷 Alcohol duty c… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Thursday 31st January, 11:30 : Is it too late to say 'new year, new us'...? We've got a brand new look 👇 pic.twitter.com/A1Qg8YNCJv